Friday, August 7, 2009

In Honor of World Breastfeeding Week...

Five Reasons I Love Breastfeeding!

1. It's easy, convenient, and free. No buying formula, no preparing bottles, no washing bottles. I can just feed Isaac whenever and wherever he's hungry. Easy peasy. (Although I totally understand the need for working moms to pump and use bottles; I think it's awesome to do whatever you can to give your baby the benefits of breastmilk!)

2. It's great for mother-baby bonding and attachment. I get a chance to slow down, relax, hold and snuggle with my baby when I nurse him. It's such an amazing feeling. <3

3. Breastmilk is seriously awesome. It changes based on your baby's needs (throughout the feeding, and also as they get older) and it boosts their immunity since babies don't come equipped with strong immune systems.

4. Breastfeeding burns calories. True story: I gained 28 pounds while I was pregnant with Isaac; he's now 8 1/2 months old and I've lost all those 28 pounds AND another 24 pounds besides that. Yes, folks, I've lost over 50 pounds (which I definitely needed to lose), mostly thanks to breastfeeding. :-)

5. Breastfeeding is nature's design. Breasts were made to nourish babies, and babies were designed to grow and thrive on their moms' milk. There's a reason, I think, that breastfeeding is amazingly simple, great for the mother-baby attachment, perfectly suited to each individual baby, and so good for the mother's health: it's not a fluke, it's God's design. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment