Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Where's the P-Ness?

In order to move forward in life, sometimes you have to be willing to loosen your tight grip on control and stop trying to plan everything out perfectly. Actually, I won’t speak for you, partially because I can only speak from my own experience and partially because it’s really irritating to try to write like that. So I’ll say it this way: I’m realizing that I need to stop trying to control and plan so many things.

I love personality tests. According to the Myers-Briggs test, I’m an INFJ. In case you’re unfamiliar with the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, this breaks it down pretty succinctly:

Introversion or Extroversion
Sensing or Intuition
Thinking or Feeling
Judging or Perceiving

While personality is what it is, I do think that at certain times in life, one’s personality traits can make things feel a lot harder (or easier). And right now, the J part of my personality is making things harder for me. I am at a point in my life where it would really be beneficial for me to be a more laid-back person. I have found myself hindered in so many ways by my desire to always have a specific plan laid out. And now I am struggling with the reality that there is a time to let go and see where life takes me.

The past few months have been a flurry of change, and so many more potential changes loom on the horizon. And the “must have a plan” part of me slips deeper and deeper into anxiety as I try to plan for everything, then depression as I realize I simply cannot make a plan for everything. So much of it is just “wait and see.”

I don’t think I can change who I am deep inside– but I do think there’s something to be said for the ability/willingness to adapt to the demands of life’s seasons. And right now, in order to move forward with less anxiety, I need to be able to let go a little bit and accept the fact that I can’t control all the things I desperately want to control.

So while I am quite sure I’ll always be an INFJ, I need some P-ness in my life. (I’ll give you a moment to say that out loud and appreciate the humor.) The J part of me can plan to be more flexible and less insistent upon control. It’s not authentic P-ness, but hopefully it’ll do. Fake P-ness is better than no P-ness at all, right? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment