Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Deception

Over the years, I have believed a huge lie about myself. Perhaps you have believed it about yourself too.

This is the deception that far too many of us are familiar with: Who you are isn’t good enough. Your talents, interests, and dreams are too small and unimportant. If you had different talents, then you’d be valuable and admirable.

Because of this deception, I have tried to play roles based on traits and abilities I admire in others. I have convinced myself that who I am isn’t good enough and I need to be something different. Maybe if I were an artist or a homeschooler or an excellent cook, or whatever… maybe then I would be valuable and admirable.

It ain’t a pretty sight. Even if I do manage to play the role for a while, it is clearly not a good fit. It doesn’t come naturally. I am not like water, effortlessly taking the shape of whatever container I am put in.

I don’t want to keep playing roles that do not mesh with who I am. I do not want to imitate someone else’s life; it is ill-fitting and uncomfortable. It is time to find and cultivate my own path.
“It is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else’s life with perfection.” -Elizabeth Gilbert

No comments:

Post a Comment