Monday, December 3, 2012

Advent

For the first time ever, my family is celebrating Advent. Well, kind of. Part of the point of Advent is to slow down and reflect, and while we are doing that, we are also staying pretty busy throughout the Christmas season. But through it all, we’re putting an intentional focus on family togetherness, the significance of Jesus’ birth, and showing love to others.

After an unsuccessful last-minute search for an Advent calendar that was exactly what I wanted, I decided to make my own. It turned out really well, and I love seeing it hanging on the wall beside our kitchen table. It’s so festive and fun!

It was really simple to make. I used card stock, scrapbooking paper, card sleeves I “borrowed” from my husband, number stickers, and ribbon. The picture below shows mini clothespins, which I originally intended to use but I changed my plan as I was making it.



Here is is hanging on our kitchen wall. I’ll be honest, I’m not an exceptionally crafty person. This thing is held together with scotch tape and staples. Seriously.







Isn’t it fun? We’re putting little slips of paper in each pocket with an activity for the day. On day one, we went to our city’s Christmas parade, and on day two we put up our Christmas tree. Later in the month, we’ll take the kids out to buy gifts for family and friends, go out to see Christmas lights, make treats and crafts, have family movie nights, do some random acts of kindness, and go to a few parties and dinners. We’re also reading a story from The Jesus Storybook Bible each day.

I’m excited! It’s going to be a great month.

No comments:

Post a Comment