Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Wise Words About Parenting

A few years ago, a good friend of mine (hi, Ashley!) wrote a couple of posts on her blog that were instrumental in changing my approach to parenting and discipline. Elijah was four years old at the time, and although I knew I didn't like the spanking/punitive approach, I didn't know what else to do. I feared that my only other option was to be totally permissive, which obviously I did not want, plus I had been hearing all my life from other Christians that spanking was THE God-endorsed way to discipline. Ashley's posts (and our friendship in general) started me on my journey to gentle, grace-based parenting (which, for the record, is nothing like permissive parenting in the least, and is very much in line with biblical, Godly values). I want to share the links to her posts here, and I encourage others to take a few minutes to read them. There is a lot of wisdom in her words.

http://simple-gifts.blogspot.com/2006/10/growing-up-in-grace.html

http://simple-gifts.blogspot.com/2006/11/punishment-vs-discipline_01.html

No comments:

Post a Comment