Sunday, January 31, 2010

Final Thoughts on Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline

I'll be the first to admit that Becky Bailey's Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline was not the easiest book I could have started with on my quest to read and write about a parenting book each month. However, I chose this as the first book of the year because I believe that the principles of parenting and the discipline skills discussed in it are foundational. This is also why I chose to do a chapter-by-chapter review of this particular book; it is important to understand these skills and the motivations behind them. In the future, I will probably not write about each individual chapter, but for this one, it was fitting. Thank you for your patience, and I hope you found the information helpful.

I understand that this book can be a difficult read. For many people, it is a complete paradigm shift away from punitive, fear-based parenting. The author focuses a lot on the psychological motivations, implications, and outcomes of both punitive parenting and the more positive methods she recommends. The book also focuses heavily on how to develop self-control and self-discipline in your own life so you can model appropriate behaviors for your children. I cannot emphasize enough how vital this is! If Becky Bailey's writing isn't quite your style, that's okay. There are many other excellent books out there that discuss a lot of the same ideas.

While I've read Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline four or five times now, the next book I will be reading and writing about is one that I'm reading for the first time. It is called Dealing With Disappointment, and I've chosen it because I hope it will help me with some specific challenges I face with my oldest child. I do not plan to review each chapter of the book; instead, I will read it throughout the month and write a post or two about it at the end of February. In the meantime, I will be writing about other things that are on my mind. I hope you'll join me!

No comments:

Post a Comment