Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Will You Help?

For the past couple of months, I have been giving some serious thought to what I want to do. I am interested in so many things, but I cannot do it all. I have known for a while now that I want to make a difference, but that is a very broad goal, and I need to get more specific.

I have heard people say that if you see that something needs to be changed, you should be the one to change it. And in some cases, that may be true, but for me, the fact that I notice something doesn't necessarily mean I am called to change it. I notice lots of things, maybe too many things. Sometimes it feels as though I am standing in the midst of a whirlwind; all these issues that I care about and that desperately need to see changes made are flying around me and I am overwhelmed. Lately I have been trying to shut out the noise and pay attention to my feelings; what am I most passionate about? What do I get excited about? What do I get worked up about? What issues are the nearest and dearest to my heart?

The time has come to pursue some things that I have been interested in for quite some time. I'm ready to work toward certification as both a childbirth instructor and a doula. For years now, I have also dreamed of starting a non-profit organization or ministry to work with families and parents, from pregnancy on up. Unfortunately, you do not have to look very far to find Christian organizations, authors, and churches that endorse parenting practices that are punitive, detached, and based on behaviorism. It is harder to find Christian organizations that advocate for parenting that is gentle, attached, and is focused on true discipline (teaching). While I am not at the point where I am prepared to start an actual organization, it is time to get started on the beginning stages. Soon I hope to be purchasing a domain that I will use to share information and write about things like pregnancy, natural birth, homebirth, breastfeeding, attachment parenting, gentle discipline, family life, and faith.

Right now I'm stuck on something that may initially seem insignificant, but I think it's actually quite important- naming the website. If I can find the right name, it is possible that I will use it for my childbirth education and doula work, and also for the future organization/ministry that I want to build.

And so I am asking for your help. Do you have any ideas for a name?

No comments:

Post a Comment