Friday, February 12, 2010

Loveys

Lots of children get attached to a "lovey," like a special blanket or a stuffed animal. Elijah's was a blanket with teddy bears on it; up until a couple years ago, he always fell asleep with it.

Isaac's lovey is different, though. His is our ears. Yes, our ears. Whenever Isaac is sleepy, he reaches up and holds the ears of the parent who is holding him. My theory is that he likes our ears for two reasons: they are a good fit for his little hands, and he wants to keep us as close to him as possible during those cuddly moments before sleep. Think about it; if you're holding a child, and your child is holding your ears, the two of you are very close to each other. What a comforting place for a little one!

There is nothing wrong with kids getting attached to blankets or stuffed animals, of course, but it warms my heart to know that Clark and I are Isaac's "loveys." He is attached to us and he wants us to be close to him as he falls asleep. And I wouldn't have it any other way. I cherish this time with my sweet Isaac.

No comments:

Post a Comment